All graduate students in the
Department in good academic standing are fully supported through a combination of teaching
assistantship (typically 50 to 200 hours per year), research assistantship, external scholarships
and/or University of Toronto Fellowship support.
Current annual stipend rates:
- $29,048*- base funding for students within the funded cohort**
- Up to $23,948* - funding for students outside the funded cohort**
- Up to $31,257 - holders of Ontario Graduate Scholarship, The Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology, RAP, CIHR**
- Up to $33,157 - holders of NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship (PGS/CGS M, PGS-D)**
- $35,000 - holders of NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship (CGS-D)
- $50,000 - holders of NSERC Vanier
Stipends are subject to change in the upcoming academic
Students pay their own tuition and fees from their stipend. The
Department will provide a tuition scholarship for visa students while in the funded cohort (ie. up
to 4 years for PhD or up to 5 years for direct PhD) to cover the differential between visa and
domestic fees. The current tuition fee and refund schedules are available at www.fees.utoronto.ca.
Scholarships Available for International Students
Canada Memorial Foundation Scholarships
Canadian International Development Agency
Connaught International Scholarship*
Government of Canada Awards Program
Ontario Graduate Scholarship*
Ontario Trillium Scholarship*
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship*
*To be considered for a nomination, student must have received an offer of admission by Department of Chemistry.
External Scholarships Available for Canadian and Permanent Resident Students
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research
Ontario Graduate Scholarship
Canadian Institute of Health Research
*Domestic applicants who are considering to apply for the NSERC CGS-M, please make sure to apply by December 1, 2014; a nationwide deadline by NSERC. Contact our Chemistry Graduate Office to learn more about this funding opportunity.