All graduate students in the Department in good academic standing are fully supported through a combination of teaching assistantship (typically 50 to 200 hours per year), research assistantship, external scholarships and/or University of Toronto Fellowship support.
Current annual stipend rates:
- $28,760 - base stipend
- Up to $31,000 - holders of Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Up to $31,900 - holders of NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship (PGS/CGS-M)
- $35,000 - holders of NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS-D)
- Additional top-ups for incoming NSERC award holders
- Additional entrance scholarships are awarded to highly qualified students
Stipends are subject to change in the upcoming academic year.
Students pay their own tuition and fees from their stipend. The Department will provide a tuition scholarship for visa students while in the funded cohort (ie. up to 4 years for PhD or up to 5 years for direct PhD) to cover the differential between visa and domestic fees. The current tuition fee and refund schedules are available at www.fees.utoronto.ca.